What should I do if I lose my passport? Many international students will be very impatient. The editor of the website tells you not to worry. You can’t make mistakes according to these steps
First, what should I do if I lose my passport?
1. Find copies of lost passports and visas
If you have left relevant duplicate certificates before your passport is lost, Congratulations, these duplicate certificates can help you reduce many unnecessary troubles in the later self-help process.
really can’t find the copies, it’s better to find the visa number / client ID.
2. Report to the nearest police station
The loss of your passport is a big deal. You need to report to the local police station at the first time. The purpose of
reporting is to:
1. If someone is found on the way, you can be contacted;
2. When applying for a new passport, it is necessary to report the case to the police;
3. To prevent illegal acts of illegal use of passports by bad people
But you can’t run by unprepared in a hurry. Before you go, you need to prepare your passport copy (if any) and driver license. For international students, it is recommended that you take your student card, social security number (SSN) and other documents at the same time However, it doesn’t matter if you’ve just come to the United States to study and haven’t got a job to get an SSN or a driver’s license
When you come to the police station, you need to explain the detailed loss process to the police uncle. They will give you a small card with a report number. Take this small card and others can find your report record
The most important thing is that you need the police to issue a formal report.
normally takes about a week, about $10.
if you are in a hurry, you can tell the police uncle the situation, they will help you deal with it as soon as possible, and the time will be a few hours in a short time
3. The Chinese Embassy in the United States reissues the passport
Although reported to the police station, but the vast crowd, want to retrieve their old passports, is basically out of the question, so you need to apply for a replacement passport.
At present, China has one embassy and five consulates in the United States, which are responsible for consular business in their respective jurisdictions.
applicants should submit their applications to the visa office in their respective jurisdictions
Let’s look at what materials we need to prepare:
1. One completed application form for passport / Travel Permit / seaman’s certificate / certificate of return of the people’s Republic of China.
2. Two small 2-inch (48mm x 33mm) color photos with a head width of 21mm-24mm and a length of 28mm-33mm. The background color of the photos is white or light blue;
3. Copies of lost or stolen passports (if any), including those with photo data pages, those with extension of registration, and those with visa to the United States;
4. Original and photocopy of residence certificate in the United States (such as “green card”, work permit, I-20 form, etc.);
5. Written statement of lost or stolen passport.
includes: experience before and after traveling to the United States, location and process of lost or stolen passport, passport number, time of issuance, place of issuance, address and contact number, etc;
6. Alarm record.
7. Other materials that consular officers require applicants to provide on a case by case basis.
Finally, look at the forensics process and precautions
1. The applicant shall pay the fee and collect the certificate according to the date indicated in the certificate, or after receiving the telephone notice, or after self checking the passport has been completed
2. For the applicant who holds the certificate with the words “to call”, if the passport has been prepared, it will also be published in the “Notice of new passport collection”, and the embassy will not call the applicant any more
3. If the passport is not obtained one year later, the certificate will be cancelled and destroyed, which may affect the applicant’s next certificate application
Even if you are lucky enough to get your old passport back, it can no longer be used. It should be sent to the embassy and consulate for cancellation as soon as possible
How to make up for lost American passport
How to make up for lost American passport
What should I do if I lose my passport and visa when studying in Canada